mis-named packages in db?

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Mon Aug 22 19:32:03 UTC 2005

Paul Howarth wrote:

| I can't see what yum is trying to do at the moment. It appears
| to be trying to install koffice and koffice-devel versions
| 4:1.4.1-0.1.fc4.kde but those already appear to be installed on
| your system.
|
| Are you on an x86_64 box by any chance?

You know, this started looking more and more strange, the more I
poked at it. I decided it would be a lot quicker to just remove
the two packages, and let yum reinstall them. I'm already
finished, and now I'm doing my yum update which is now going well
- all 144 MB of it!

And, to answer your question, no, this is not a x86_64 box. I
think what 'might' have happened is that I was experimenting with
various package managers at one point, and I installed Synaptic
which uses apt and different repos; that may have been when I
installed koffice, since it had to be installed separately from
FC4, since FC distros no longer include koffice. If that theory is
correct, it's a good example of why mixing packages from different
repos can lead to problems.

Claude Jones
Levit & James, Inc./WTVS
Leesburg, VA, USA