Printing from WinXP to cups running under FC4

Joachim Backes backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de
Tue Aug 23 13:28:23 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-23 at 08:39 -0500, akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 02:34:17PM +0200, Joachim Backes wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was running a FC3 system with running cups. It was possible to print
> > from WinXP to this FC3 system. But now I updated to FC4, and all
> > printings from WinXP to the cups printers are hanging, no pages appear.
> > Did somebody make similar experiences?
> >
> Well one observation may be relevant if you used system-config-printer
> to configure your Linux printers. I am not sure about FC3 but in
> earlier Fedoras choosing to share your printers did not work. To have
> you printers shared your had to not indicate that they were shared in
> system-config-printer.
>
> In FC4 this was fixed and to have the printers shared you have to
> indicate that they are shared. Could this be your problem?

Hi, problem solved,

I had to install cups-lpd, which had been installed in FC3 not by
anaconda, and which was no more found after updating FC3->FC4.

Regards

Joachim Backes

--
Best regards

Joachim Backes <backes at rhrk.uni-kl.de>
University of Kaiserslautern,Computer Center [RHRK],
Systems and Operations, High Performance Computing,
D-67653 Kaiserslautern, PO Box 3049, Germany