RPM error: librpm-4.3.so

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Wed Aug 24 08:29:55 UTC 2005

On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 10:09:14PM -0400, Mjumbe Poe wrote:
> Whenever I try to run RPM, I get the message:
>
> rpm: error while loading shared libraries: librpmdb-4.3.so: cannot
>
> I recently upgraded my version of RPM to 4.4.1 (along with Fedora 4
> from Fedora 3).

What did you use to upgrade? anaconda/yum/apt?

> While doing some package cleaning (the atrpms yum repository didn't
> work very well for me,

What wasn't working?

> so I was replacing all of the atrpm packages), I removed a package
> called librpmdb4.3.  I figured this would be okay, since I was using
> a new version of RPM with a whole shiny new rpm-libs.  But now I'm
> getting this error.

Sounds like you didn't update all components of rpm to 4.4.x

What does

# strings `which rpm`|grep librpm-4

return? Should be librpm-4.4.so if it is 4.4.x.

But the error message suggests that it is still 4.3.x. And it also
suggests you had to force the deinstallation of librpmdb4.3 with rpm
-e --nodeps, because w/o it would output that rpm requires it. Never
use --nodeps, unless there is really no other way and you are aware of
the consequences.

> I would reinstall rpm-libs-4.3 from an rpm, except I can't run RPM.
> Any ideas?

You can unpack rpm packages with rpm2cpio/cpio if rpm goes
valhalla. You can also use rescue mode or sync the files from a
working machine.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net