Why does up2date igonore rpms that I compile for my athlon, for update?

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Aug 24 13:19:19 UTC 2005

VJ wrote:
>>I suspect up2date is looking for a update matching the architecture of
>>the package you already have installed. There won't be an official
>>release of any athlon packages, so you'll probably need to build those
>>yourself again from the update SRPMS.
>>
>>Paul.
>>

> Thanks Paul,
>
>   Is there a way to make up2date ignore the architecture? Will doing
> so cause any problem (I see in the case of the kernel)?
>
>   I wish there was a flag in up2date which could be used to ignore the
> architecture if needed. I am no developer, so I can only wait until
> somebody does it.

You might try adding "exactarch=0" in your /etc/yum.conf and see what
happens. If you're using repomd sources in FC4 (the default), up2date
uses yum to parse them, and so this might have the desired effect. I've
never tried using that option so I can't offer any advice on whether
that's a good idea or not though. Probably not.

Paul.