Confused about tcp_wrappers and sshd

Robert Locke lists at ralii.com
Wed Aug 24 18:34:11 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 11:08 -0700, barophobia wrote:
> On 8/24/05, Robin Mordasiewicz <robin at bullseye.tv> wrote:
> > What a co-incedence, you must be a slashdot reader cuz I just installed
> > that too.
>
> hehe.. Actually I think I found through searching my Fedora email in
> Gmail. When did it show up on Slashdot?
>
> > Indeed you have all the nessessary tools.
>
> But it appears that they are not working in conjuction. How can I make
> them work together?
>
> > I decided to run it as a daemon. If you do then be sure to set the
> > environment variables properly in the config file.
>
> I was planning to do the same, thanks for the heads up.
>

> Chris.

Chris,

I'm not reading slashdot, but the normal way to see if the sshd is
compiled with tcp_wrapper support, you simply need to check to see if
the library was linked to it....

Try:

ldd /usr/sbin/sshd

Then look for a line that includes or references "libwrap.so".  If that
line is there, then, yes, your sshd is compiled with libwrap support.

I'm on FC4, but my line looks like:

>         libwrap.so.0 => /usr/lib/libwrap.so.0 (0x00616000)

Now, perhaps it is the line you are putting in to /etc/hosts.{allow,deny}....

--Rob