how smart will wireless be in FC5?

Ben Stringer ben at burbong.com
Thu Aug 25 13:35:57 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-25 at 09:15 -0400, Jack Howarth wrote:
>    Does anyone know if the following will be possible in FC5? I
> am interested in being able to set up a portable Linux box such
> that if the ethernet interface is available the internet access
> will be used through eth0 otherwise the wireless interface will be used.
> Currently in Fedora Core 4, it seems that I am stuck with either
> automatically enabling both interfaces at startup or manually
> starting one or the other. What I am trying to avoid is having
> both interfaces in use if the ethernet interface comes up at startup.
> Thanks in advance for any information.
>        Jack

Hi Jack,

My understanding is that NetworkManager does this now, and has since at
least FC3. I am happily using it on a laptop that alternates between
wired and wireless interfaces.

>From the README:

<quote>
>From a list of all adapters currently installed on the system,
NetworkManager will first try a wired and then a wireless adapter.
Wireless adapters that support wireless scanning are preferred over
ones that cannot.  NetworkManager does not try to keep a connection
up as long as possible, meaning that plugging into a wired network
will switch the connection to the wired network away from the
wireless one.
</quote>

Cheers, Ben