User rights to update /var/www/

Joost Waversveld joost at waversveld.nl
Fri Aug 26 13:25:30 UTC 2005

----- Bericht van jep at obrien-pifer.com ---------
    Datum: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 09:19:16 -0400
      Van: James Pifer <jep at obrien-pifer.com>
Antwoorden aan:For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Onderwerp: User rights to update /var/www/
      Aan: Fedora <fedora-list at redhat.com>

> I have a new development server built to replace a Windows IIS server. I
> have a few users who update the web server over ftp through some
> developer application. On Windows I ran a small ftp server and they
> would do their updates. On the new server I have vsftpd running. What is
> the proper way to give them access to upload and overwrite files
> to /var/www?
>
> All the stuff (google and howtos) I'm finding on vsftpd is dealing with
> users getting to their home directories rather than another place in the
> file structure.
>
> Should I look at a different ftp server? wu-ftpd or proftpd? Still have
> the file rights issue I think.
>
> Other suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> James
>
> --

----- Einde bericht van jep at obrien-pifer.com -----

You can use vsftpd for this. As you already mentioned you will have this
'problem' with every ftp-server you use...

vsftpd looks standard to the home directory of the user loging in, so if you
change someone's home dir in /etc/passwd to /var/www, he will go to /var/www
the next time he logs in... BUT he needs file system rights to enter that
directory.

The best way to do this is creating some users who are an member of the group
APACHE/OTHER WEBSERVER runs at. So you can see who has uploaded the file, and
all works fine!!

Good luck

Joost Waversveld