Editing ISO images

Øyvind Stegard oyvinst at ifi.uio.no
Fri Aug 26 16:40:21 UTC 2005

Dave Gavin wrote:
> On Fri, August 26, 2005 9:34 am, Marcelo Magno T. Sales said:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Anyone knows a software that allows me to add and remove files from an
>>ISO image in FC4, like UltraISO and others in Windows? Is there a way to
>>mount an ISO image read/write?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Marcelo
>

>  Mount it with the loop device, make changes as needed and umount.
>  Here's my script for mounting an iso, just pass it the name of the iso
> file (and "mkdir /mnt/iso" before running this).
>
> cat isoMount
> #!/bin/bash
> echo "mounting $1 as /mnt/iso"
> mkdir /mnt/iso 2>/dev/null
> mount -t iso9660 -o loop ${1} /mnt/iso
>
>  When you're done, cd out of it and "umount /mnt/iso"
The ISO9660 file system is read-only by design, once it has been
created. Thus I highly doubt you can successfully do write operations on
it by mounting it in linux via a loop device, even though mount says it
is mounted 'rw'.

I'd mount the ISO image, as the script does, copy the file tree to a
temporary place on another file system, make my modifications, then
create a new ISO image from the modified temporary tree, using mkisofs.
A shell script could help automate much of this process.

Øyvind.
--
< Øyvind Stegard < oyvinst at ifi uio no >
  < http://www.oyvind.nu/