Changing the yum's repositories

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Sat Aug 27 14:54:47 UTC 2005

Paul Smith wrote:

>On 8/27/05, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at redhat.com> wrote:
>

>>>How can one change the yum's repositories?
>>>

>>Check this out
>>http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/yum/
>>

>Thanks, Rahul. I have read the whole document, but it cannot answer my
>question. For instance, how can I change the extras repository? I have
>tried kyum, but I do not know the syntax very well, as I am a novice
>user of Fedora, coming from Mandriva.

Not sure what you want to change in the repository files.  The above
guide has bits and pieces about the yum configuration files.  If you
prefer a GUI, use yumex or kyum from the extras repository

#yum install yumex kyum

Here is more details.

Previous versions of yum had a single configuration in /etc/yum.conf
where all the repositories and yum configuration options were stored.
This was determined to be tedious to manage for users and it was hard
for new repositories to be added by packages. Now the main configuration
in in /etc/yum.conf and the repositories are in /etc/yum.repos.d. Each
of the repository files end with the extension ".repo" and are generally
named after the repository information they hold. The extras repository
is  available for FC3 and FC4.  For FC4, it is enabled by default and
the information is in the file /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-extras.repo.

More information about Fedora Extras is available from
http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc4/#id2502937

regards
Rahul