OT - my domain must have become a spammer's source

oldman talbotscott at cox.net
Sun Aug 28 04:00:08 UTC 2005

Craig White wrote:

>I have long had a catchall box for my domain without too much issue -
>spamassassin has handled the load.
>
>Apparently - starting at some point today, I am getting several hundred
>rejects an hour with apparently random_name at azapple.com as the sender
>and thus the bounce backs/rejects are coming to me.
>
>I can filter them with sieve but I am wondering if there's a way to know
>how/where these things are originating from and if there's likely any
>reprecussions from this mess.
>
>Craig

    As I'm sure you realize this is probably some acquaintance of yours,
who has your E-Mail address in Outlook and has some nasty Adware or
virus on his system as well.  Unfortunately, unless you want to collect
all of your bounces and try to figure out who you know that collects
bazillions of e-mail addresses, it is unlikely that you will ever find
out.  I got lucky once when I received a bounce from the Navy and from a
distant relative, so the person had to know both of us and have both our
e-mail addresses (luckily (?) I don't have a lot of family that I talk
to regularly and it was relatively (no pun intended) to figure out the
culprit and get his box fixed.  Good Luck

Scott