Incomplete logout panel

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 18:53:17 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-08-28 at 12:32, Claude Jones wrote:
> On Sun August 28 2005 1:23 pm, Les Mikesell wrote:
> >
> > Cat copies input to output ................
> Thanks for your explanation. I had taken Tony's suggestion and started looking
> at the man bash pages. So, if I'm getting it right, the above sequence says
> take what I'm about to type and redirect the text into the file 'desktop' in
> the designated location, and keep doing that until I type "EOF" - the first
> '>' is the redirect, and the '<<' is the entry that tells the process to
> continue until it sees the sequence that immediately follows '<<', at which
> point the redirect process terminates. Do I have that right?

Yes, but note that it is the shell collecting the input when
you use this construction, then feeding it to cat.  If you
just:
cat >file
type...type
type..
control-d
cat inherits your keybord as it's stdin, and a special case
for tty type inputs is that control-d as the first thing
after a newline generates an end-of-file as seen by the
reading program (controlled by "stty").

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com