OT - my domain must have become a spammer's source

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Aug 29 02:46:56 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-08-28 at 19:20 -0400, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-08-28 at 18:28, Craig White wrote:
>
> > ----
> > since about 9:00 pm last night (approximately 18.5 hours ago), I have
> > gotten over 3000 'bounces' - that's quite a bit. The ones that include a
> > copy of the original email get parsed by spamassassin, tagged and put
> > into a SPAMBOX. The ones that don't include a copy of the original email
> > now fall through to a collection folder. That seems like a lot of
> > bounces in less than 24 hours - I've been keeping them to get a 24 hour
> > count.  ;-)
> >
> > Craig
>
> Sounds like a joe job.  They are using your email/domain in the forged
> from address.  Hides them and dumps the traffic on someone else.
>
> Don't think there is much you can do about it but filter the bounced
> messages.
----
a joe job...has a nice ring to it.

I've gotten over 4000 bounces and I'm still an hour and a half shy of 24
hours since I started filtering them and keeping them for the count.
Wow!

I guess I knew there wasn't much I can do - just keeping my fingers
cross that this doesn't affect my real email.

Craig