OT - my domain must have become a spammer's source

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Aug 29 05:29:22 UTC 2005

Tim:

>> At the moment I have my mail server  set to not respond, at all, to
messages
>> coming to my domain that don't exactly match a real address.  So that
using faked
>> addresses fraudulently with my domain doesn't leave me with a lot of
bounce
>> messages from failed spam.
>>
>> Of course this means that anybody trying to e-mail me and typing my
>> address wrong won't know that they made a mistake.

Craig White

> I believe that the RFC's state that all rejected mail is supposed to get
> a 5.1.1 failure (no mailbox) and obviously I am seeing it because I use
> a catchall mailbox for my domain.

Normally I don't condone breaking standards, but we've got to the state
where the e-mail system is a major pain.  I could argue that my system
hadn't rejected those messages...

I see good reason in informing a poster that they've got the address
wrong, and they need to correct it before you'll get their message.  But
the sheer number of spam with forged addresses means that spam bounces
around from one rejected mailbox to another.

I read messages from the public lists.