Share internet connection/make a small server

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 29 23:45:42 UTC 2005

--- Antonio Olivares <olivares14031 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Markku Kolkka <markkuk at tuubi.net> wrote:
>
> > Antonio Olivares kirjoitti viestissään
> (lähetysaika
> > tiistai, 30.
> > elokuuta 2005 01:26):
> > > [root at rio ~]# service dhcpd start
> > > dhcpd: unrecognized service
> >
> > dhcpd is the DHCP _server_. Do you want to use
> this
> > machine as
> > the DHCP server for your network?
>
> Yes, I do.  I am getting closer and close to solving
> this.  Here's what I have done.
>
> I went to
> http://fedoranews.org/blog/?p=666
> and tried to use this as a reference.  Now things
> are
> looking brighter.  I changed /etc/dhcpd.conf to
> mirror
> the one in the above website changing the domain
> names
> to other ones as specified.
>
> [root at rio sbin]# service dhcpd start
> Starting dhcpd: Internet Systems Consortium DHCP
> Server V3.0.1
> Copyright 2004 Internet Systems Consortium.
> All rights reserved.
> For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/
> Wrote 0 leases to leases file.
>
> No subnet declaration for eth1 (192.168.100.1).
> ** Ignoring requests on eth1.  If this is not what
>    you want, please write a subnet declaration
>    in your dhcpd.conf file for the network segment
>    to which interface eth1 is attached. **
>

> No subnet declaration for eth0 (10.154.19.136).
> ** Ignoring requests on eth0.  If this is not what
>    you want, please write a subnet declaration
>    in your dhcpd.conf file for the network segment
>    to which interface eth0 is attached. **
>

> Not configured to listen on any interfaces!
>
> If you did not get this software from ftp.isc.org,
> please
> get the latest from ftp.isc.org and install that
> before
> requesting help.
>
> If you did get this software from ftp.isc.org and
> have
> not
> yet read the README, please read it before
> requesting
> help.
> If you intend to request help from the
> dhcp-server at isc.org
> mailing list, please read the section on the README
> about
> submitting bug reports and requests for help.
>
> Please do not under any circumstances send requests
> for
> help directly to the authors of this software -
> please
> send them to the appropriate mailing list as
> described
> in
> the README file.
>
> exiting.
>

>     [FAILED]
> [root at rio sbin]# service dhcpd start
> Starting dhcpd:
>
>     [  OK  ]
> [1]+  Done                    kedit /etc/dhcpd.conf
> [...]

I modified dhcpd.conf to

[root at rio sbin]# cat /etc/dhcpd.conf
ddns-update-style interim;

default-lease-time              600;
max-lease-time                  7200;

subnet 192.168.100.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
  option routers 192.168.100.1;
  option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
  option domain-name-servers 6355-1.example.com,
6355-2.example.com;
  range 192.168.100.2 192.168.100.20;
}
[root at rio sbin]#

apparently everything is working, but I cannot get
into internet from Windows 98 SE machine using dhcp to
access it.
Should I change the subnetmask?

Should I rename domain-name-servers or just omit that
line?

Kind Regards,

Antonio