I'd like to talk with my new Motorola E815 cellphone.

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Tue Aug 30 01:46:48 UTC 2005

On Monday, Aug 29th 2005 at 23:22 +0100, quoth James Wilkinson:

=>Steven W. Orr wrote:
=>> I got a data cable but I have no idea how to get the USB end of it to
=>> work. I found software (gnokki) to talk to the phone if the device is
=>> recognized. Can someone give me pointers on how to get started? I'm on
=>> Core 4.
=>
=>What exactly are you trying to do with it? Are you trying to use it as a
=>modem, or are you trying to upload / download pictures and music?
=>
=>I've got a (much more basic) V220: I've found that the 32 bit version of
=>moto4lin works well enough for uploading and downloading files. As far
=>as I can tell, the phone is ready for use as a modem as soon as you plug
=>it into a Fedora-based computer: no phone configuration is needed.
=>
=>Moto4lin isn't in Extras: you can build the package yourself or try the
=>RPM at
=>http://www.altlinux.com/index.php?module=sisyphus&package=moto4lin .
=>
=>Whether any of this is true for your phone isn't clear. In any case, the
=>package is considered alpha status, and no-one but you is responsible if
=>it causes any damage...
=>
=>Hope this helps,
=>
=>James.

James, I just need help getting started. I did download moto4lin as well
as gnokki but the problem is the initial step of getting the phone
recognized as a USB device when I plug it in. Are there any specific steps
you can tell me that I need to do for the initial device recognition?

steveo at syslang.net