X.org's DRI vs. ATi's Proprietary driver (Was: "Re: ATI Livna driver package (Something has changed)")

Peter Gordon admin at ramshacklestudios.com
Tue Aug 30 05:34:09 UTC 2005

Claude Jones wrote:
> On Mon August 29 2005 1:57 pm, Claude Jones wrote:
> I'm running the  Radeon 9200SE card on both machines - both machines
 > seem to be running 3D.

The 9200SE uses an RV280 series chip, which is well-supported by
the Free drivers which are a part of the kernel and X.org's X11
server implementation. Just for the sake of my curiosity, is there
something special that ATi's proprietary driver gives you that you
cannot get with the Free drivers? I think, considering that GNU/Linux
is based on the principles of Free/open-source software, it would make
sense to use Free drivers where supported, right? :-O

Thanks.
--
()  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign - against HTML Email,
/\  vCards, and proprietary formats.
E-Mail: admin at ramshacklestudios.com
GnuPG Public Key ID: 0x87C59026
Encrypted and/or Signed correspondence preffered.