eth0 - SIOCSIFFLAGS timer expired

Bill Gradwohl bill at ycc.com
Tue Aug 30 18:39:11 UTC 2005

I just yum upgraded to the latest kernel (2.6.12-1.1447_FC4) and tried
to boot one of my boxes into SMP mode and got the familiar
eth0 SIOCSIFFLAGS timer expired
error during boot up. That's been going on for quite a few kernel
releases and I've been booting into the uniprocessor kernels to avoid
the error. The interface comes up fine in non SMP.

A while back I looked this error up on bugzilla and as I recollect it
was a known problem that was going to get corrected in some future
kernel. I just checked bugzilla again, and I can't find this error, but
I've still got the problem.

Anyone know what causes it and how I can boot the box into SMP
successfully as far as eth0 is concerned? This particular box is an
older P-III with 2 866MHz chips and a gig of RAM.

--
Bill Gradwohl
(817) 224-9400