Setting up Environment variables of Intel fortran compiler

David Niemi drn_temp2 at rogers.com
Wed Aug 31 02:26:09 UTC 2005

I have installed this compiler for some testing work and am not 100%
sure where to put the references listed.

************ Excerpt from Install Instructions

The programs in the Intel Fortran Compiler 9.0 for Linux product rely on
the environment variables PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH. The installation
script (install.sh) creates compiler environment script files
(ifortvars.sh/idbvars.sh) that set these variables. It is strongly
recommended that you add those script files into your login script
(.login file). Once the variables are set in the ".login" file there is
no need to run the script files for each session.

source the script to setup the compiler environment:

      * > source <install-dir>/bin/ifortvars.sh(.csh)
        to use ifort
      * > source <install-dir>/bin/idbvars.sh(.csh)
        to use idb
******************

Should I put the paths to the script files in my .bash_profile or
in /etc/profile so that all users (me) can use it?

Would there be a particular format to doing this?

Tried searching the RH Enterprise manuals and having a look through the
messages that I have kept.  There was the "Running a script at boot"
thread to put the scripts in rc.local to run at boot but would this be
the right place to start setting up environment variables?

Also my rc.local has the line: "touch /var/lock/subsys/local"  Which
means / does what?

Thanks
 Dave