NO ADSL with kernel-smp 2.6.12-1.447smp

Antonio Montagnani anto.montagnani at virgilio.it
Wed Aug 31 07:20:12 UTC 2005

Edward Dekkers said the following on 31/08/2005 06:26:

 > Antonio Montagnani wrote:
 >
 >> Antonio Montagnani said the following on 30/08/2005 09:16:

with standard 2.6.12-1.1376 kernel on same machine, it works flawlessly.

an SMP one. Bar the fact that SMP will actually use the two processors
in your machine that is. I run SMP myself, and it makes no difference to
my connection running standard or SMP kernel.

 >>> My setup is very standard, a Pentium 4 Asus motherboard P5P800, 1
GB, two network cards (the integrated is connected to my network, the
Realtek 8029 to my ethernet modem).
 >>> Which diagnostic shall I check??
 >>>
 >> upgraded to FC4, same behaviour also with 2.6.12-1.447smp
 >>
 >> where to look???
 >>

 > Number one would be to see if the Realtek interface actually comes up
- then there's a whole slew of tools like ifconfig, ping, iptraf,
dhclient etc. to be used one by one to see where the problem lies.

 > When I asked you to provide more details, I wasn't really after
motherboard and stuff like that, I was after your internet connection
details of course. This is how I would describe one for example:

 > Maestro Woomera Serial modem connected to /dev/ttyS0
 > Using pppd on demand/wvdial to make a connection
 > The IP address on that interface (ppp0) is assigned dynamically by my
isp.
 > The log shows dialling to be ok, and pppd taking over the connection
once wvdial has established it.
(www.microsoft.com) and number (207.46.199.60).

 > This is in the case of dial-up. Your trace will be different.
 >
 > Really, you have provided nothing of use in diagnosing this problem.
I'm assuming your modem takes care of the connection and just gives you
an internal IP address which you set to the gateway? or do you need to
run PPPoE or some other protocol manually?

 > You must assume we know nothing about your set-up when posting to
this list.

 > Regards,
 > Ed.

  Ed,

it seems that I can't ping the Ethernet modem when using SMP
kernel(destination unreachable), if I connet to ist internal webpage I
get a message of no routing.
I have iptables running: and everything is o.k on standard kernel!!!
What is happening???

  Antonio
Mail by Thunderbird 1.0.6 - Websurfing by Firefox 1.0.6
Linux Fedora Core 4 on Home
Linux user number 362582
http://www.linuxsaronno.net
http://www.montagnani.org