Setting up Environment variables of Intel fortran compiler

David Niemi drn_temp2 at rogers.com
Wed Aug 31 10:17:18 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-31 at 07:12 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 22:26 -0400, David Niemi wrote:
> > ************ Excerpt from Install Instructions
> > script (install.sh) creates compiler environment script files
> > (ifortvars.sh/idbvars.sh) that set these variables. It is strongly
> > recommended that you add those script files into your login script
>
> > source the script to setup the compiler environment:
> >
> >       * > source <install-dir>/bin/ifortvars.sh(.csh)
> >         to use ifort
> >       * > source <install-dir>/bin/idbvars.sh(.csh)
> >         to use idb
> > ******************
> >
> > Should I put the paths to the script files in my .bash_profile or
> > in /etc/profile so that all users (me) can use it?
>
> What's in these files? Do they have conflicting settings for any of the
> variables (i.e. if you run both, can you then use both products without
> needing to run either script again?)?

These scripts just put in the path to the compiler and debugger into the
path statement and add a couple environment variables.

    PATH="/opt/intel/fc/9.0/bin:$PATH"; export PATH
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/opt/intel/fc/9.0/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"; export
LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    MANPATH="/opt/intel/fc/9.0/man:${MANPATH}"; export MANPATH

with if statements to find the status / existence of the variables.
Yes, the first thing I did was inspect the scripts to see what they did
before even thinking of running them.

> If they don't conflict, the best place is probably in /etc/profile.d,
> where the settings will be picked up automatically by all users.

After putting the path and script name into the profile.d, should I log
out and back in again for it to take effect, or?

I found the following site for checking the environment settings
http://www.comptechdoc.org/os/linux/usersguide/linux_ugenvironment.html

(didn't want to just issue commands and fubar everything :) )

Thanks for the info Paul, you, Alexander and others are great assistance
to the rest of us as we get up to speed on everything.