howto disable floppy drive

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Wed Aug 31 11:53:02 UTC 2005

On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 01:26:23PM +0200, Roberto Felloni wrote:
> Hi list.
>
> I have tried to remove (with fstab-sync) settings on fstab for my floppy,
> bat without results.
> On fstab-sync man page I have read syntax to remove media,
> but I don't understand wat's UDI and where I can find it.
>
> ---- man fstab-sync ----------------------------------------------------------
> fstab-sync --remove=UDI
>       Remove an entry from fstab by giving a HAL
>       Unique Device Identifier
> ---- man fstab-sync ----------------------------------------------------------
>
> I have tried replacing UDI with
> - /dev/fd0
> - fd0
> - /media/floppy
> - floppy
>
> and any cases return to me error on a library.
>
> less /etc/fstab :
> -------------------
> LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
> LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
> none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
> LABEL=/home             /home                   ext3    defaults        1 2
> none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
> none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
> LABEL=/usr              /usr                    ext3    defaults        1 2
> LABEL=/var              /var                    ext3    defaults        1 2
> /dev/hdc1               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
> /dev/hdb                /media/cdrom            auto
> pamconsole,ro,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
> /dev/fd0                /media/floppy           auto
> pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0

THis is confusing. The fstab you post should prevent the floppy
mounting at boot . I assume it does not try to mount the CD on boot.
In both cases it is the: pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed
part of the fstab line that does it. I assume that this clause being
on a different line in your post is caused buy wraparound and actually
it is on the same line.

I guess not we must ask what makes you think that the system is
trying to mount the floppy at boot time?

After all, it is only the mediocre who are always at their best.
		-- Jean Giraudoux
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University