How many possible ways to break grub in one week?

Kahn Seidl mkseidl at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 31 14:38:52 UTC 2005

Hello my well scrubbed friends...

Martin is back, and problems with grub, again...

To update... had grub problems, couldnt get fc3 to boot, so I installed fc4
on another partition, got fc3 working.

Now, I wanted to remove fc4 today.  But, was concerned about what would
happen to grub and what not.
So, I did a grub-install from fc3, and edited to the grub.conf a little bit.

I did a reboot(before touching fc4 partition) and the boot options were with
the grub.conf with the fc3 partiton, not fc4.  so, I think, ok, golden.
Trashed fc4.  Now!  Enter probelms :

I do not see anything grub related when it boots, and when it first starts
it goes to fc3 and not to anythign else.  I also get funny lines on the
screen when it first starts, but when it starts udev/and init the hardware
its back to normal.  and dont have problems after that.

here is my grub.conf

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
default=1
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,1)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
#hiddenmenu
#title Fedora Core (2.6.11-1.1369_FC4)
#       root (hd0,2)
#       kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
#       initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4.img
title fc3
        root (hd0,1)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb
quiet
        initrd /initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img
title Other
        rootnoverify (hd0,0)
        chainloader +1

I took out the hidden menu, and that didnt do anthing,?  i also just for
sh!ts and g!ggles, tried to select differnt options from the hidden menu and
i could see the options for windows pop up, but then it just does nothing
for a min, then pops up again, then goes away.

its confusing?  any suggestions?

thanks@
martin