Re: Feedback invited for Inspiron 6000 w/ ATI MOBILITYT RADEON® X300 64MB HyperMemoryT

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Wed Aug 31 15:28:31 UTC 2005

Reshat Sabiq wrote:

> Date:
> Tue, 30 Aug 2005 23:20:03 -0600

> Reshat Sabiq wrote:
>

>>I ended up going for upper-medium lower-high end, which is what i
>>think this laptop is.
>>
>>I'd appreciate any feedback on it. One thing i'm anticipating is that
>>xorg won't work right off (not 3D anyway), and that i'll need to get
>>proprietary ATI driver. Could somebody confirm if it works well? ATI
>>appears to have made a good effort on that driver, but that's just my
>>impression from their website.
>>
>>P.S. Btw., for those who are looking, Dell appears to have a good deal
>>on this laptop till 08/31. It's the best deal i found for those specs.
>>If you are looking at the $850 range, the best deal i found there is
>>HP Pavillion ze2000t (i looked at deals w/ S-Video only) .
>>
>>Thanks.
>

> Actually, the ATI website only mentions X300 for desktops. I'm finding
> some references saying xorg radeon driver works well (including hardware
> acceleration) for X300, however, i haven't seen a definitive answer.

After being burned by the ATI WWW site and their driver, I would look at
true user feedback before trusting it.  ATI support for their cards does
not mean all features are supported.  Like lack of 3D.  For me, I will
avoid ATI video cards for now.  This puts a limit on notebooks but that
is just life.

Buyer beware.
--
Robin Laing