NO ADSL with kernel-smp 2.6.12-1.1376_FC3

Antonio Montagnani anto.montagnani at virgilio.it
Wed Aug 31 16:59:58 UTC 2005

James Wilkinson said the following on 31/08/2005 18:49:
> Antonio Montagnani wrote:
>
>>Does specifying acpi=ht on the SMP kernel command line make any
>>difference?  It probably defeats the purpose of SMP.
>

> and:
>
>>and furthermore prevents from poweroff .... :-(
>

> Shouldn't do. In general, one doesn't need ACPI for SMP.
>
> You probably don't, either. You can check /proc/cpuinfo: it should show
> two CPUs if you've got SMP working.
>
> acpi=ht turns ACPI off for most things, but keeps enough to enable
> hyperthreading. It sounds like there's a bug somewhere in ACPI (probably
> in your motherboard support).

I agree, I have seen many warnings saying that can't load ACPI table,
etc, etc, untill I put acpi=ht, and same errors are also on standar
kernel (pls. have a look to the part of /var/log/messages already posted)

> Stupid idea: I forget whether your Ethenet card is built-in or a
> physical card. If it's physically separate, try it in different PCI
> slots. That should get it different PCI level IRQs: the ACPI IRQ routing
> might work for a different PCI IRQ.
It is a separate card, I will switch to a different slot, when I have
some spare time, but this should not remove all warning/errors about
ACPI, should it?

> As for the poweroff, you need APM or ACPI for this to work. APM doesn't
> work in SMP mode (there's a line in the kernel messages you posted
> saying as much), and you've just turned off ACPI for nearly everything.
>
> You will probably have turned off hibernation support and *possibly*
> some power-saving support when you disabled ACPI.

no idea how I could have disabled any flag to disable poweroff, any
suggestion?
  Otherwise, you really

--
  Antonio
Mail by Thunderbird 1.0.6 - Websurfing by Firefox 1.0.6