Kernel Compiling

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Fri Jul 1 00:03:05 UTC 2005

Am Fr, den 01.07.2005 schrieb Robby Tanner um 1:49:

> > > 1)  When I did a mkinitrd against the existing
> > > /lib/modules/2.6.9-1.667,
> >
> > That is the original FC3 kernel, old and vulnerable.
>
> Should I upgrade to 2.6.something else then?

To the latest FC3 kernel. Please read the announcement mails to know
when security issues get fixed. The current FC3 kernel is
2.6.11-1.35_FC3.

> > > 4)  There was a load of .patch files in the SOURCES dir,
> > some from pre
> > > 2.6.9 kernels.  Do I need to apply those in order before compiling?
>
> > Yes, sure. Else they are just on your hard drive and do nothing.
>
> Even though some of them are 2.6.7 or earlier?

Sure. The patches a prepared to match the target code.

> > > 5)  What, if anything do I do with patch-2.6.9-final.bz2 and
> > > patch-2.6.9-final-bk2.bz2?
> >
> > Misses the other patches.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by that?

Ok, misunderstood your question. You need to apply _all_ patches
(therefor rpmbuild -bp) and not just the patch which brings the base
kernel source tarball to 2.6.9-final-bk2.

> > rpmbuild -bp --target=<arch> kernel-2.6.spec
> >
> > http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc3/x86/
> >
> > The release notes contain the instructions. Didn't you read them?
>
> No, I didn't, but I will, thanks for the pointer.
>
> > These are SELinux messages, so called audit / avc messages.
> > The CVS server is just not available for me. I guess you
> > missed SELinux patches with your route described in 5)
>
> Not sure what that means either.

Then you probably should read the SELinux documentation too ;) SELinux
is not only userspace but kernelspace too. And if the Fedora kernel has
some specific SELinux patches, they are normally required or are at
least recommended.

> Rob

Alexander

Serendipity 01:54:24 up 5 days, 8:46, load average: 0.20, 0.20, 0.12