Change Disk from IDE to SCSI using dd, what else ?

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Fri Jul 1 00:06:29 UTC 2005

Sam Varshavchik wrote:

>> Hello guys... I got already FC3 installed at /dev/hda but I need to move
>> it to /dev/scd
>
> The first SCSI hard drive is /dev/sda.  There is no /dev/scd device,
> /dev/scd0 is the first SCSI CD-ROM drive.
>
>> I know that I can move them by using dd, but, what else do I may need to
>> change ?
>
> Quite a bit.
>
>> 1) Grub ? Which config files ? Should I do any other stuff rather than
>> modify the new path at the Config files ?
>> 2) FSTAB ?
>> 3) Others ?
>
> Grub is the least of your worries.  Depending on how you about doing this,
> all that will be needed to make grub happy is some monkeying around with
> device.map.
>
> The tricky part is that you need to create a new initrd that loads the
> right combination of SCSI kernel modules.

Actually, I think the much simpler method suggested by the OP
should work perfectly well.
Personally I would use "cp -a" rather than dd,
but I don't see why dd should not work.

I don't see why there should be any need to make a new initrd -
the initrd with the distribution should work with scsi discs -
presumably the kernel will load the required scsi modules.

Personally (again) I prefer to compile my own kernel
with scsi included in the kernel rather than as a module,
but this should not be necessary.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366