FC4 x86_64 dies with heavy SATA RAID load - SOLVED

Mark Miksis mark.nospamplease at miksis.com
Fri Jul 1 01:35:25 UTC 2005

Mark Miksis wrote:
> Well, I upgraded to the latest driver today and the problem persists.
> (By the way, upgrading via the driver source does also upgrade the
> firmware and BIOS.)  I spoke to 3Ware support.  They seemed familiar
> with the problem but blamed it on Red Hat's Kernels.  They then referred
> me to some performance tuning appnotes which I tried with no success.
>
> I guess I'm off to buy a new card this afternoon - probably LSI or Adaptec.

I've been running the 3Ware card with the write cache turned off because
I was nervous about not having any battery backup on the card itself.
Turning the cache on seems to have completely solved my problem!  I've
been running heavy traffic (both reads and writes) for the last few
hours and it's been rock solid and very fast.  I guess I learned
something today.  I'm still not sure I'm comfortable running in this
configuration, but I do have a UPS on the box.

BTW, this means my 3Ware card is not available;)