NTFS Concerns with FC2

Matt Morgan minxmertzmomo at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 17:53:42 UTC 2005

On 7/1/05, Mike McCarty <mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I have a multi-boot machine and need to share some files
> between the Linux and Windows XP OSs. To date, I've been
> either writing to floppy or burning a CD and rebooting, then
> reading in. I'd like to just copy files between some shared
> device, like my Windows XP partition.
>
> I've heard that there is no problem mounting an NTFS volume
> and reading it using Fedora Core 2, but that there are perhaps
> problems *writing* to such a volume from FC2. Since the
> direction I mostly need to go is FC2->WXP, this is of some
> concern to me.

You are correct. The other problem is that you have to install a new
linux-ntfs RPM with every FC kernel update, which can be annoying:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-ntfs/

One common way to get around it is to set up a FAT partition on a
drive, or part of a drive, for a transfer area. Linux has no trouble
reading/writing FAT.

> Can anyone answer this question for me? And where do I go
> to research this without bothering people here? New to FCx
> and don't know how to do the search at redhat.com yet.

Most people find the archive at

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fedora-list&r=1&w=2

to be more easily searchable. Other great sources are fedorafaq.org
and fedoraforum.org.

Good luck,
Matt