Linux Backup Administration

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 1 18:52:39 UTC 2005

Angela Kahealani wrote:

>On Fri, 2005-07-01 08:07, Mike McCarty wrote:
>

>>I realize that this is off-topic. Hopefully you will forgive
>>me for imposing on you like this.
>>

>Sadly, that is not possible.

Well, that's too bad, then.

>>Backup is still something of a mystery to me.
>>

>man man
>man dump
>man restore
>
>works great with DVD-RAM cartridges.

Hmm. I know how to use man. The documentation for dump does
not tell me what files *nix needs saved. I suppose one could
dump to a file, and use split to break it into CD size pieces, and XCDROAST
them. What is a DVD-RAM cartridge?

I suppose that Fedora has some special areas that need attendance, as well,
over and above what a generic *nix installation needs.

Mike