FC4 ssh strangeness

beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Sat Jul 2 16:03:03 UTC 2005

I run pine 4.63 on several local machines, and 4.44 on a remote one,
always in one tab on a Gnome-terminal, using FC1, YDL4, and FC4 locally; I
have pine set up in all of them to enable mouse in xterm -- and use the
mouse constantly for long cursor moves. Never had any trouble, since about
RH7.2 -- till I started doing it under FC4.

There is some new strangeness, apparently in ssh, under FC4.

In any installation (other than the remote -- it's three thousand-odd
miles away), if I go into pine in a terminal on the machine, the mouse
moves the cursor fine. That includes the FC4 machines (three of them).

If I ssh into the same machine, and run the same installation of pine as
the same user, it still works if the machine I ssh *from* is running FC1
-- and did at least till a day or two ago under YDL4. It did under FC2&3,
also, till I upgraded those to FC4 this past week.

But if I ssh into another machine from FC4, no matter whether that
machine's running FC1, YDL4, or whatever my remote ISP runs (I've
forgotten the command to ask; it's probably still RH9, as it has long
been), I can run pine there -- but the mouse does nothing.

Is this a bug? Can I do something about it?

Btw, I've tried both under yesterday's FC4 kernel and under the new one
yum update just installed on FC4 today, and that makes no difference,
either.

--
Beartooth Neo-Redneck, Linux Evangelist
FC 1&4, YDL 4; Pine 4.63, Pan 0.14.2.91; Privoxy 3.0.3;