System slowed down- again!

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 14:43:09 UTC 2005

On 7/2/05, Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists at uni-x.org> wrote:
> Am Sa, den 02.07.2005 schrieb Dotan Cohen um 16:02:
>
> > Thanks, Alex. I've since had to restart the machine twice. After the
> > first time I ran ps axuwwww | grep Z. At that time I had only one
> > zombie show up in top:
> > USER       PID %CPU %MEM    VSZ   RSS TTY      STAT START   TIME
> COMMAND
> > root      3571  0.0  0.0      0     0 tty4     Z<   16:37   0:00 [X]
> <defunct>
> > 500       3802  0.0  0.0    364   108 tty6     R+   16:45   0:00 grep
>
> So X is dead - but on tty4?
>
> > As soon as the machine slows down again, I'll run top, and in the
> > event of zombies, I'll run ps.
> >
> > I don't think that the problem is anacron, as Andy suggested, as the
> > machine was up all night. I ussually don't turn the computer off at
> > night.
> >
> > Dotan Cohen
>
> Rereading your initial posting I suspect like Andy a hardware problem,
> presumably with your harddrive. Run
>
> smartctl -t long /dev/<your drive>
>
> and when it finished inspect the results with
>
> smartctl -a /dev/<your drive>
>
> [ <your drive> seems to be hdb ]
>
> I suggest you do this in runlevel 3 (so without X) and doing nothing
> with the PC during the selftest time. Check too your cables. Often
> enough a damaged cable or one with bad contact to the motherboard is
> cause of trouble.
>
> Alexander
>

> --
> Alexander Dalloz | Enger, Germany | GPG http://pgp.mit.edu 0xB366A773
> legal statement: http://www.uni-x.org/legal.html
> Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.11-1.35_FC2smp
> Serendipity 16:40:32 up 6 days, 23:32, load average: 0.14, 0.13, 0.09
>

> BodyID:97205227.2.n.logpart (stored separately)
>
> --

Thank you for your advise. I do not seem to have a command smartctl.
Even man smartctl gives me nothing. I went googling and came to the
comclusion that I simply have to install it, but I thought that I'd
ask here first. Without a man page I don't want to go messing things
up.

If I do need to install it, to where should it be installed? /usr/bin?

Thanks.

Dotan Cohen
http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/395/papa_roach.php
Papa Roach Song Lyrics