Fedora Core 4 -- 1387 Kernel Problem Compaq nx9010 Laptop

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Jul 3 20:52:32 UTC 2005

ryan wrote:

> Markus Huber wrote:
>
>> Jim Cornette wrote:
>>
>>> I can boot fine with kernel-2.6.12-1.1400_FC5 but get the same
>>> lockup seen with kernel-2.6.12-1.1387_FC4  as with
>>> kernel-2.6.12-1.1411_FC5. Are you using a system that relies ACPI to
>>> be functional? I cannot boot with either.
>>

>> I'll do an update later this day on an HP zd7000 notebook which
>> relies on ACPI and will report the behaviour.
>>
>> Markus
>>
> Could this be similar to my problem where FC 3 kernels boot, but FC 4
> ones do not?

The problem might be related to the differences between the way devices
are managed between FC3 and
FC4. Look into UDEV and other possibilities. I think the kernel is
missing some features that the FC4 kernel used to have compiled in.

ACPI is a different issue, HP laptops cannot boot without it for some
models. The model mentioned above and my HP ze4315us cannot boot without
ACPI being functional.

Jim

--
"Love your country but never trust its government."
-- from a hand-painted road sign in central Pennsylvania