System slowed down- again!

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 22:45:09 UTC 2005

On 7/3/05, Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists at uni-x.org> wrote:
> Am So, den 03.07.2005 schrieb Dotan Cohen um 16:43:
>
> > Thank you for your advise. I do not seem to have a command smartctl.
> > Even man smartctl gives me nothing. I went googling and came to the
> > comclusion that I simply have to install it, but I thought that I'd
> > ask here first. Without a man page I don't want to go messing things
> > up.
> >
> > If I do need to install it, to where should it be installed? /usr/bin?
>
> yum install smartmontools
> (it is a Fedora Core 4 package)
>
> > Dotan Cohen
>
> Alexander
>

> --
> Alexander Dalloz | Enger, Germany | GPG http://pgp.mit.edu 0xB366A773
> legal statement: http://www.uni-x.org/legal.html
> Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.11-1.35_FC2smp
> Serendipity 16:44:57 up 7 days, 23:37, load average: 0.11, 0.20, 0.18
>

> BodyID:97941302.2.n.logpart (stored separately)

Alex, I think I've gone completely back to newbie-land. I don't know
where to continue from here with smart. I think that I remember a post
where there was mention of another disk checking utility but STFA
didn't help much- probably because I don't remember the command name!
So I googled for linux commands, but pages like
http://www.ss64.com/bash/ didn't have a command for checking to disks.
Also, there was still no man for smart:

[root at localhost ~]# smartctl -t long /dev/hdb
smartctl version 5.33 [i386-redhat-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-4 Bruce Allen
Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

SMART support is: Unavailable - Packet Interface Devices [this device:
CD/DVD] don't support ATA SMART
A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or
more '-T permissive' options.
[root at localhost ~]# man smart
No manual entry for smart
[root at localhost ~]#