ACPI and NFS lockup

Justin Willmert justin at jdjlab.com
Mon Jul 4 15:22:07 UTC 2005

I'm having a problem with the ACPI daemon on my laptop. Every once in a
while, X will lock up and nothing will respond, so I try reseting X by
pressing Alt+Ctrl+Backspace. Normally X will automatically restart
itself, but on these occasions, it won't. Then I switch to my first
virtual terminal with Alt+Ctrl+F1 and log in as root. From there I try
restart the network services because I am connected to my network
through a wireless adapter. After typing in 'service network restart',
it just hangs while trying to shutdown the adapters, so abort the
operation and try rebooting my computer. Everything shutsdown fine until
I hit the ACPI daemon. There it just sits and hangs. If I let it sit
long enough, I'll get a message about not being able to connect to
192.168.1.148, which happens to be my NFS server (along with many other
services), but I think it's NFS that's causing the problem because other
problems have arrisen from my laptop not being able to hold a connection
with the server. My NFS server is currently hard linking so my laptop
will retry until it gets its connection back, but even when I stand
right next to the router with my laptop in my hands, it still won't
recover the connections. I would like to know why ACPI has anything to
do with this, or if I'm just seeing a symptom at ACPI shutdown time, but
is actually connected to some object working with it behind the scenes.
Would having my home folder on the NFS server make a difference? Does
ACPI need something from my home folder and when NFS loses its
connection, it locks up?

Thanks for any help,
Justin Willmert