Name of computer

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Mon Jul 4 15:37:20 UTC 2005

Wojciech Komornicki wrote:

>I get my IP address from DHCP and so, according to the default
>installation of FC4, my computer is named localhost.localdomain.  Can I
>give my computer a different name and still get its IP address from
>DHCP?
>--
>Wojciech Komornicki

There are two different settings, one for the interface and another for
hostname.

During the installation process, there are screens to setup your host or
to allow the hostname to be setup manually. I always choose manually for
the hostname.
For the interface, I set this up for dhcp and to activate at boot.

Post installation, I am not sure where to set it and which tools to
use.There have been discussions on this using editors on certain files
and using post-install configuration tools through the GUI.

Jim

--
An efficient and a successful administration manifests itself equally in
small as in great matters.