GRUB and the last FC4 kernel

Hoffmann oasf2004 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 4 19:20:10 UTC 2005

--- Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-07-04 at 11:29 -0700, Hoffmann wrote:
> > I have updating to the last FC4 kernel. However,
> after
> > that, I realized that the not only the previous
> FC4
> > kernel, but also, the last one are present on
> GRUP. I
> > meanm during the booting process, I see the
> following
> > on GRUB:
> >
> > (a) The last FC4 kernel;
> > (b) The previous FC4 kernel;
> > (c) Windows xp;
> > (d) Other.
> >
> > How could I remove the previous FC4 kernel from
> GRUB,
> > so? Is it safe to do that?
>
> It's safe to remove kernels that you aren't running.
> This is why yum
> *installs* rather than *updates* kernel packages.
>
> After booting using the new kernel, you can remove
> the old one.
>
> e.g.
> # rpm -q kernel
> kernel-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4
> kernel-2.6.12-1.1387_FC4
> # uname -r
> 2.6.12-1.1387_FC4
>
> The "uname" command above shows which kernel you are
> currently running.
> You can safely remove any other kernel, e.g.
>
> # rpm -e kernel-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4
>
> This will remove that version of the kernel, all of
> its modules, and the
> associated entry from your bootloader configuration
> file (usually grub).
>
> Paul.
> --
> Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>
>
> --

Hi all:

First of all, thanks to all of you that answered me.
One more question: As a test, I opened the
/boot/grub/grub.conf
and I comment the previous FC4 kernel. After that, I
noticed that I was not able to 'enter' to Windows. So,
I uncomment the previous FC4 kernel, and all was fine.
SO, the question is: After uninstalling the previous
FC4 kernel, will I be able to have my dual boot? I
mean, will I be able to 'enter' either FC4 or Windows?
Thanks!
Hoffmann