Kernel panic when booting without acpi=off as of 2.6.12-rc1 and above

Daniel Andersen anddan at linux-user.net
Tue Jul 5 10:59:21 UTC 2005

Summary of error:

insmod error inserting '/lib/ata_piix.ko': -1 Unknown symbol in module
ERROR: /bin/insmod exited abnormally!
Mounting root filesystem
mount: error 19 mounting ext3
mount: error 2 mounting none
Switching to new root
switchroot: mount failed: 22
umount /initrd/dev failed: 2

I'm not able to figure out what is causing this panic. I'm running
Fedora Core 3 on a (Pentium 4 w/HT) Dell Optiplex GX280 with 2 sata
disks in Raid0.

All Fedora kernels and vanilla up to 2.6.11 is working fine without
using acpi=off. 2.6.12-rc1 and up to 2.6.13-rc1-mm1 won't boot unless I
use acpi=off. I haven't been able to do much troubleshooting yet so I
may be overlooking something trivial. Any kind of help appreciated.

This message has been posted to the LKML without response.

Daniel Andersen