simple ping; pinging 101

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Wed Jul 6 16:10:25 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 11:37, THUFIR HAWAT wrote:
> On 7/6/05, Scot L. Harris <webid at cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> > The real question here is what are you trying to do?
>
> looking at
> <http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Masquerading-Simple-HOWTO/intro.html>
>
> I've changed the IP addresses as follows:
>
> arrakis eth0	123.12.23.43
> arrakis eth1	192.168.0.1
> caladan eth0	192.168.0.2
>
> to be able connect arrakis eth0 to the hub, ping caladan, disconnect
> arrakis eth0 from the hub, connect arrakis eth1 to the hub, ping
> caladan, repeat..
>
> to do do that, is a default gateway required?
>
> I'm just taking this one very small step at a time.

I think there is a major misunderstanding of what you are trying to do.
In your original message you were trying to setup two interfaces on the
same subnet.

The how to you are following is for setting up a system as a
router/firewall.  Each interface on arrakis will be connected to a
different subnet.  The one in the example is not what you will use.  You
need to use the address that is assigned by your ISP on that interface.
The addressing you have setup on eth1 is fine.  That is the only
interface that will be used to communicate with the other systems you
have on your internal LAN.

Your arrakis system will need to have IP forwarding enabled as well as
NAT (masquarading) which the how to you are using should explain.

The arrakis box should end up with a default gateway that points to your
ISPs default gateway system.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Life is a POPULARITY CONTEST!  I'm REFRESHINGLY CANDID!!