Bind Error with New Kernel

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Wed Jul 6 18:20:58 UTC 2005

edwarner99 at yahoo.com wrote:

> "ROOTDIR=/var/named/chroot" wasn't there. As I said,
> it never was. It was never modified by me or bind, but
> ran ok until I upgraded from FC3 to FC4.

That line is normally added by the "bind-chroot" package.  If that
package is installed, then the line "ROOTDIR=/var/named/chroot" was
definitely present when the service was working as expected.  If you
configured the chroot using some means other than installing the
"bind-chroot" package, then the changes you made to configure the chroot
were probably overwritten by the upgrade.

> I put "ROOTDIR=/var/named/chroot" in the file and
> seems to work now.
>
> What action caused bind to over write
> /etc.sysconfig/named?

Look for rpmsave files which may help you understand what was modified:

find /etc -name '*.rpmsave'