Installing a Wireless Card in Fedora Core 4

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Jul 6 23:53:56 UTC 2005

Rashan Jibowu wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I literally just decided to install Fedora Core 4 in order to start
> learning linux. However, I am running into some problems. The main issue
> is getting wireless to work. I am using a Intersil Prism2 wireless card
> and I've googled installation instructions about a thousand times but I
> have no idea what people are saying. I don't know if my wireless card is
> installed properly. All I do know is that I do not get an internet
> connection (or an IP address) when near a wireless port, so I assume
> that need to install a driver to make my card.

Do "lsmod | grep hermes" as the root user (the driver is called
"hermes.ko").  If you get a line sort of like:

	hermes                   55972   1

it's been loaded (if it was plugged in when you booted your machine,
it should have been).  If no line is displayed try "modprobe hermes" and
see if it will load.  If so, then put this line in /etc/modprobe.conf:

	alias wlan0 hermes

and it should load on the next boot.

Next, run "system-config-network" as the root user and configure the
card with the appropriate info.
-                   "The bogosity meter just pegged."                -