FC3 gone

CHERMAN at gt.rr.com CHERMAN at gt.rr.com
Thu Jul 7 01:26:51 UTC 2005

I've been lurking on this list for a couple of months trying to learn
about Linux.  I now have a problem which I believe is unrecoverable, but
I would like to know if I did something to cause it.  I had a computer
running FC3 and a week ago Saturday I shut down the computer while I
went on vacation for a week.  When I got home I booted the computer and
used it for several hours. I then ran up2date and it seemed to be
successful.  I decided to reboot and when I attempted to log out, the
computer appeared to lock up. I pushed the reset button and when the
computer attempted to reboot, I got a grub prompt. I used the rescue cd
to run linux rescue and it said that there were know linux partitions on
the drive.  I ran sfdisk on /dev/hda (the drive on which FC3 was
installed) and got the following:

Checking that no-one is using this disk right now ...
BLKRRPART: Permission denied
OK

Disk /dev/hda: 79656 cylinders, 16 heads, 63 sectors/track
Old situation:
Warning: The partition table looks like it was made
  for C/H/S=*/255/63 (instead of 79656/16/63).
For this listing I'll assume that geometry.
Units = cylinders of 8225280 bytes, blocks of 1024 bytes, counting from 0

   Device Boot Start     End   #cyls    #blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1   *      0+     12      13-    104391   83  Linux
/dev/hda2         13    4997    4985   40042012+  8e  Linux LVM
/dev/hda3          0       -       0          0    0  Empty
/dev/hda4          0       -       0          0    0  Empty

Any ideas would be appreciated?  Just for informational purposes, before
I installed FC3 I was running WinXP and it crashed also.  That's why I
installed FC3.  Is it possible the hard drive is bad?

Craig Herman