Compaq WIFI card not recognized by FC4

Lovell Mcilwain lovell.mcilwain at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 02:41:43 UTC 2005

Jonathan Berry wrote:
> On 7/6/05, Lovell Mcilwain <lovell.mcilwain at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I am running the most up-to-date kernel (I basically did a yum update for everything in fc4 to be
>>current on it all when I first loaded it on my system)
>>[root at Whistler broadcomwifidriver]# uname -r
>>2.6.12-1.1387_FC4
>>
>>When I ran your command I got the following:
>>[root at Whistler broadcomwifidriver]# yum list kernel-module-ndiswrapper
>>Setting up repositories
>>livna                     100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
>>updates-released          100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
>>extras                    100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
>>base                      100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
>>Reading repository metadata in from local files
>

> If you read really closely, you'll see that the command I wrote was:
> yum list "kernel-module-ndiswrapper*"
>
> Notice the quotes and the *.  You have to give it the kernel version
> as well.  The * matches anything else so you will see all the kernel
> versions.  Regardless, since you are up-to-date, you can just run the
> other command I gave you.
>
> yum install kernel-module-ndiswrapper-2.6.12-1.1387_FC4
>
> By the way, the practice on this list is not to "top post" (meaning
> putting your reply above what you are replying to).  It's preferred if
> you place your reply inline (like I have done) or below the original
> text.  This makes it easier to see the discussion flow.
>
> Jonathan
>
> [snip]
> [references]
>
>>>Hmm, did you install the Livna package using the "yum install
>>>ndiswrapper"?  I guess you need to explicitly tell it to get you the
>>>kernel module as well.
>>>
>>>yum list "kernel-module-ndiswrapper*"
>>>
>>>will give you a list of the avialable kernel modules.  Install the one
>>>for your kernel version ("uname -r" will tell you the one you are
>>>running).  If you are running the latest FC4 kernel
>>>(2.6.12-1.1387_FC4, which you should update to) then your install
>>>command will be:
>>>
>>>yum install kernel-module-ndiswrapper-2.6.12-1.1387_FC4
>>>
>>>Unfortuntely, the list will not show you the whole package name, so
>>>you need to tack on the "FC4" part to the end.
>>>
>>>Jonathan

Thanks for the insight on the post rules, sorry for the violation.  For whatever reason whenever I
ran that command that you gave me it wouldn't install properly but once I rebooted my machine it
actually worked.  Im not sure why rebooting worked but Im happy that it does.

So I ran I have started on my last few commands:
[root at Whistler scripts]# modprobe ndiswrapper
[root at Whistler scripts]# iwconfig wlan0 essid ***
[root at Whistler scripts]# iwconfig wlan0 key ****
[root at Whistler scripts]# dhcpcd wlan0
-bash: dhcpd: command not found

So now I'm wondering did I type this command wrong?