Totem: Can't even play VCD?

William John Murray w.murray at rl.ac.uk
Thu Jul 7 13:02:27 UTC 2005

 >core
 >>>> >

 >>> No - patent issues get in the way.
 >>> totem shouldn't be crashing though, but it won't play them unless you
 >>> install additional plugins.
 >>>

 >I forgot to mention -
 >
 >Hopefully a package will soon be available at rpm.livna.org
 >In the meantime I have them packaged
 >
 >Make sure you have rpm.livna.org configured for yum.
 >Then add my yum repository by putting this file in /etc/yum.repos.d/
 >
 >http://mpeters.us/yum/fedora/4/yjl.repo
 >
 >Then -
 >
 >yum install gstreamer-plugins-extra-video gstreamer-plugins-extra-audio
 >gstreamer-plugins-extra-dvd
 >
 >That should install everything you need to play VCD's.
 >Note that I haven't played any VCD's - but I have played DVD's and
 >mpeg's and avi's etc.

These gstreamer plugins are also in freshrpms. But it doesn't work too
well for me with this set:
gstreamer-plugins-extra-audio-0.8.8-2.2.fc4
gstreamer-0.8.10-1
gstreamer-plugins-extra-dvd-0.8.8-2.2.fc4
gstreamer-plugins-0.8.8-6
gstreamer-plugins-extra-video-0.8.8-2.2.fc4
gstreamer-ffmpeg-0.8.4.1-0.2.fc4

On a 1GHz PIII I can play DVDs with mplayer (my favourite), ogle or
xine, but with Totem it doesn't work. The other players have CPU usage
at ~50%, Totem is 100% and the sound is unbearably choppy.
    It is somewhat reminiscent of mplayer without DMA DVD access in that
the first few seconds of the DVD (cached on disk?) is OK. Could this be
the problem? Also, mplayer docs suggest that audio handling can
cause troubles, but I cannot see how to change this in Totem. (even
totem --disable-sound, which is in the man page, is rejected as an
unknown option)
     Or is it that going through gstreamer adds an extra layer of
processing, and it will always be slower?

   Bill