Fedora 4 swap + mem

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Thu Jul 7 18:02:15 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 06:07, rassylkaformazaj at ukr.net wrote:
> Hello all
>
> Also a question about swap.
>
> I have 4G of RAM and partition about 4G for swap.

> Why?? I've heard that with big amount of physical memory Fedora
> doesn't use it.

> Also i'm very interested who "eats" this memory

> can someone explain plz?

In most cases you don't want to use swap, if your system is actively
using swap you will find that it will become very unresponsive.

In most cases it is a waste of disk space to have more than 1GB of swap
on a system.

There are some applications where you may want and need huge amounts of
swap.  But for general application servers and particularly workstations
use of swap will in most cases make the system performance appear to be
very poor.

Linux will utilize as much of memory as possible for buffers which
improves the perceived performance of the system.  If the system needs
that memory for other applications those buffers will be released.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Aleph-null bottles of beer on the wall,