nfs emacs movemail and flock (was: ... selinux)

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang+gnus20050708 at dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com
Fri Jul 8 19:20:27 UTC 2005

Daniel J Walsh <dwalsh at redhat.com> writes:
> Jens Petersen wrote:
>>Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
>>>A bit of gdb-ing after figuring out the SRPM magic, showed a problem
>>>with flock() failing.  Next step - figuring out why a linux client
>>>can't flock a file on an openbsd server.
>>The code is not dramatically different, but you could also try
>>the movemail.c in cvs emacs to see if that should make a difference.
> Are you getting avc messages.  Probably not allowed to lock a file on nfs_t.

Yes, that what it looks like to me too.  Linux flock() is documented
(!!!)  to not work on nfs filesystem type.

I don't see how movemail has much choice in fixing this.  It needs to
use the same type of locking as the server uses or else the two
programs won't see each other's locks.

Are industrial users of linux really not using nfs-ed mail servers?

-wolfgang