Mplayer Frustrations - Getting Closer

fredex fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sat Jul 9 00:36:13 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 07:39:37PM -0400, C.Beamer wrote:
> Ben Steeves wrote:
>
> >OK, so now you have a clean system without mplayer.  Add the livna
> >repo -- that's probably the easiest place to get mplayer from.
> >Install mplayer, mplayer-fonts, mplayer-gui, and mplayerplug-in.  You
> >can skip the gui or the plugin packages if you don't need them.
> >
> >Once they're installed, do the following:
> >$ cd ~
> >$ mkdir .mplayer
> >$ cat >> .mplayer/config
> >vo=xv
> >ao=alsa
> >^D
> >
> >I.e., create the file ~/.mplayer/config with the two lines as above.
> >The "^D" is CTRL-D and will quit cat and close the file.
> >

> Okay, I did all this and now at least when I click on the Mplayer icon
> that is on my Kmenu under the Sound and Video group, Mplayer opens and I
> can click the button to configure it.
>
> Also, Mplayer will play files that have been sent via attachment.
> Mplayer would not play these before, so we are moving forward.
>
> >Next is the codecs.  Download the codecs archive file from the MPlayer
> >website and extract it into /usr/local/lib/codecs.  Make symlinks to
> >this directory at /usr/lib, /usr/lib/win32, and /usr/local/lib/win32:
> >
> >$ ln -s /usr/local/lib/codecs /usr/lib
> >$ ln -s /usr/local/lib/codecs /usr/lib/win32
> >$ ln -s /usr/local/lib/codecs /usr/local/lib/win32
> >
> >(the last two probably aren't necessary, but what the heck?)
> >

> I did all this and it solved the problem of playing files from withing
> mplayer.  However, I still have an issue with playing stuff in Firefox.
> However, I'm pretty sure that I know what the issue is.  The stuff that
> I'm trying to play (videos from cnn.com) are in wvm format and if I look
> at the available filetypes that are supported by plugins in Firefox,

just butting in here....
I can't play CNN videos in firefox either, I wonder if your symptoms
are the same as mine? I get a popup from CNN telling me that I need to
download and install windows media player, with no way to bypass it and
just stream me the file anyway. I have Xine on my box and it does
play windows media files, even when invoked as a firefox plugin from
other sites.

> there is no wvm.  Is this perhaps a problem with the mplayerplug-in file

BTW, it's WMV, not WVM.