Mplayer Frustrations - Getting Closer

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 20:29:28 UTC 2005

On 7/9/05, C.Beamer <cbeamer at interlynx.net> wrote:
> Kam Leo wrote:
>
> >On 7/9/05, C.Beamer <cbeamer at interlynx.net> wrote:
> >

> >>codecs -> /usr/local/lib/codecs
> >>

> >Your symbolic link is wrong.  Delete the /usr/lib/win32 directory and
> >relink as follows:
> >
> ># rm -rf /usr/lib/win32
> >
> ># ln -s /usr/local/lib/codecs /usr/lib/win32
> >

> I bow to the knowledge of someone who has a lot more formal computer
> training and knowledge than me.  However, when I did what was directed
> in the above, all I got in /usr/lib was a broken link for win32
>
> >From within the /usr/lib/win32 directory, I put a sym link to
> /usr/local/lib/codecs

Not within win32.  win32 should be at the same level as codecs; i.e.
"ls /usr/lib/win32" should display the contents of
/usr/local/lib/codecs.  So delete /usr/lib/win32/codecs and the
directory /usr/lib/win32.  A quick way to do this is to use this
command:

rm -rf /usr/lib/win32

Then do the following:

cd /usr/lib
ln -s /usr/local/lib/codecs win32

You should also create a symbolic link for /usr/local/lib/win32 as
another poster has pointed out about your Mplayer output.  Do the
following:

ln -s /usr/local/lib/codecs /usr/local/lib/win32

Why?  Quoting from the README file from the codecs rpm:

"In the past /usr/local/lib/win32 or /usr/lib/win32 was the default directory,
some packages as well as a few other Unix players like xine and avifile still
use it, refer to their documentation for further details."