writing ISO's

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 9 22:26:46 UTC 2005

cheerful aya wrote:

> >Mike McCarty wrote:
> >Hmm. I missed that. Ok, I could send you an executable which would
> >on any DOS environment. I can make it a 16 bit .exe so it would run in
> >any DOS. It might be a little bit slow, but should run anywhere DOS
> >EXEs can run.
>
> >Mike
>
> Thanks.that's great.

> http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

Well, I didn't accomplish exactly what I promised.
It turns out that the code has some hidden dependencies
on integers being 32 bits. I didn't want to track it down,
but I know it didn't work with a 16 bit executable. I used
Borland C and got incorrect sums.

So I used DJGPP (a 32 bit compiler for DOS). Under separate
cover I'm sending you SHA1SUM.EXE (the executable) and
CWSDPMI.EXE a DOS protected mode interface. You almost
surely won't need CWSDPMI.EXE unless you run in a true DOS
environment, but I did test on a true blue DOS 6.0 boot
with CWSDPMI.EXE and got correct sums.

Under Windows XP, just start a command prompt and run the program.
Windows XP has a built in DPMI, so in that environment, you
won't need CWSDMPI.EXE at all.

I ran the program once on a part of its source, and it gave the
same sum as the on provided by Linux FC2.

Mike