How to update RPM's from ISO images after hard driveinstallation

Emmanuel Seyman seyman at wanadoo.fr
Sun Jul 10 16:43:34 UTC 2005

On Sun, Jul 10, 2005 at 06:24:46PM +0200, Peter De Jager wrote:

> I have already tried to mount my iso images using loopback and it does work
> (as in, it does mount), but it still does not solve my problem. E.g. once an
> ISO is mounted and available, when I install an RPM the installer still asks
> me for a CD (e.g. Disc 3) and there is still no option to browse to the
> mounted ISO image (without inserting a physical CD I cannot proceed). So
> what I need to know is how to point Linux to a location where the
> installation files (or ISO's) are stored so that I do not get prompted to
> insert CD's. Is there a config file somewhere that I need to edit?

You can tell yum to use a repository on your filesystem.
Mount your CDs using loopback then create a configuration file for yum.
It should look something like this:

[CD1-loop]
name=Fedora Core CD 1
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
baseurl=url://path/to/the/CD/contents/

[CD2-loop]
name=Fedora Core CD 2
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
baseurl=url://path/to/the/CD/contents/

[CD3-loop]
name=Fedora Core CD 3
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
baseurl=url://path/to/the/CD/contents/

[CD4-loop]
name=Fedora Core CD 4
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
baseurl=url://path/to/the/CD/contents/

Disable the Fedora repository by editing /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora and
changing the line:

enabled=1

to:

enabled=0

and yum will use your mounted images to get the rpms from the CD.

Emmanuel