fedora-list Digest, Vol 17, Issue 118

stan mcintosh mcintosh at triad.rr.com
Mon Jul 11 10:48:37 UTC 2005

> > > FC4 installed ran easily enough, but it makes this computer almost as
> > > slow as when it had Win-98.  What am I doing wrong in the setup?  I need
> > > to revisit Thunderbird setup, since downloading e-mails has gotten to be
> > > slower than I have ever experienced.
> >
> > Not sure of the differences to make FC4 slower, but have you made sure
> > unneeded services aren't running that you don't need?  Do you have extra
> > programs running?

I do need to check on the services running.  This morning, getting 18
pure-text e-mails through a cable service took 5 minutes.  I'll check my
services and pare where possible.

There was also the point about memory.  This PC has 196 MB, and I've
held off on getting more because of the increased prices for older
memory.  Before I invest in memory, I may just want to grab a newer
motherboard, CPU, hard drive, and chunk of ram.

Thanks.

stan